Marjane

Marjane

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Meg's Persepolis Week Two- Feedback and Literary Feature Hunt

On page 70-71, I enjoyed the discussion on the idea of existentialism when Marji orders God out of her life. She says she "was lost, without any bearings". On page 71, you see her floating through space, lost mainly because she believed her Uncle Anoosh shouldn't have been excecuted. So, I began searching up existentialism and came across "Transcendent Theosophy".
It was developed by Mulla Sadra, a Persian philosopher. His main concept was that "existence precedes essence", and from what I have found from my studies, I believe the meaning would be that the existence of something is more important than its essence or nature. Sadra believed that since what affects us first is what exists, and then we form the idea of its essence or nature, existence comes first. This is very different from the traditional views that the essence of something is more important than its existence.
This relates back to what Mr.McGuigan always says "Do human beings have natural instincts? Is there something in our nature that causes us to do things?"
I always thought that was just English jibber jabber, but little did I know, it was actually philosophy.

I somewhat agree with Mulla Sadra and other philosophers, that humans have natural instincts (existence). I believe that religion (essence) is not either a good nor bad thing, because there have been situations between for example; racism against certain religions versus others, or religion giving people hope during a horrific situation.


(PS. I figured out how to scan books!)

On page 127, there is a symbol being used in place of something. It is the bright light bulb on the last panel in place of an idea. This light bulb is commonly used in comic books to represent when a character is thinking, and suddenly, like a light turning on, they have a plan/idea. The light bulb is also a reference to Thomas Edison, who had a great idea and created the incandescant light bulb.
On the next few panels after this idea (pg.128), I loved (and found it quite hilarious) to see Marji's parents going to a lot of trouble to disguise a Kim Wilde poster in her father's jacket. It reminded me of my parents, especially because the mother thought of the idea, and the father excecuted it in a hilarious fashion.
I also love the transitioning between the 3 panels then the tall one panel of the father.

No comments:

Post a Comment